Sunday, April 8, 2018

Moonshine Arch (Uintah County, Utah)


I've read of an arch in the hills north of Vernal, UT and since I'm in the area, I might as well go out and find it. To reach Moonshine Arch, requires taking the jeep down some fairly rough dirt and sand roads. Finally arriving at the trailhead, there are already a number of cars here. Just as I depart down the trail, another group leaves as well. As there are a number of OHV trails going in different directions, I ask my fellow adventurers if they know the way. They respond by telling me to take two rights and I should arrive. 

As they seem to be a bit slower-paced than I am, I quickly break away from the friendly lot and make my way down the trail. The trail heads up the hill over boulders and through sand until finally dumping me out right at the base of the arch. 

It's a medium-sized arch in comparison to many others I have visited. It rises about 60 feet out of the desert floor and spans about 200 feet. Interestingly, it sits beside a sandstone cliff from which it was probably separated eons ago. In the cliff, a number of small caves offer shelter from this light drizzle to a harmonica player and his companions. I explore the area just a little bit before heading back the way I came. Definitely worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment