Sunday, May 6, 2018

Boulder Creek Falls (Shasta County, California)

 

For my fourth and final waterfall visit during this trip to the Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area, I wanted to seek out Boulder Creek Falls. Originally, I had planned on visiting this one yesterday, but with the bike race and a new look at the park map, I decided to wait until today. 

There are a couple of ways to access this waterfall, but loving my jeep as I do, I decided to take the one that "strongly recommends" a 4x4. In truth, the route to the trailhead is not all that bad. It's a little bump with some steep hills all over gravel. The worst part of it is the narrow road, which has tall steep drop offs on one side or the other as the trail winds its way around the mountain.

Finally reaching the trailhead, at which the road is gated, but serves as the actual trail to the waterfall. The first 150 yards or so is a moderate climb, but then it levels out for the rest of the short hike. It appears this was once a logging road and sections of cleared trees lend support to this idea.

After crossing a small foot bridge just shy of a mile, a small sign indicates the waterfall is just 0.1 miles further up a small side trail. I doubt it's actually that far though, as I seemed to be at the falls in no more than 2 minutes after taking the turn. It sits in a small box canyon and carves it's way out of a basalt cliff, surrounded with the same lush green forest I've been seeing all weekend. The falls itself is only about 40 feet tall, but is very pretty.

Returning to the jeep, I find that I've hiked right at 2 miles out and back to reach the falls. Now it's time to get some lunch and head home, but first I have to make it down that gravel road again. Hopefully, I won't pass anyone coming up the narrow path.

No comments:

Post a Comment