Sunday, May 6, 2018

Crystal Creek Falls (Shasta County, California)


Last night may have been the best night of sleep I've had outdoors since my trip to the Grand Canyon. That previous trip was due to sheer exhaustion, but this time I was in large sleeping bag with a couple of pads underneath me. The temperature overnight was near perfect. I suspect it only got down into the high 40's. I slept through the night and awoke just before sunrise to the music of birdsong. It was glorious.

After breaking camp, I drove up to my first destination of the day, Crystal Creek Falls. While the trail guide suggested a short walk down a dirt road, it was actually paved all the way to the falls. It's probably a quarter mile or less from the parking lot to the waterfall overlook. From high above, the Crystal Creek begins it's drop over a cliff. As it falls, the water fans out like an alluvial flow. The colors are amazing and the sum of it's parts makes this one of the most beautiful waterfalls I've seen in some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment