Sunday, May 6, 2018

Whiskeytown Falls (Shasta County, California)

 

The trail to waterfall three, Whiskeytown Falls, starts just a half-mile or so up the road from the Crystal Creek Falls trailhead. The trail to this one is called the James K. Carr Trail, named after a former Shasta resident and former Secretary of the Interior. I had hoped to arrive before the crowds and as I pull into an empty parking lot at the trailhead, I think I've accomplished my mission.

The trail starts easy enough as it travels high above a fork of Crystal Creek. There are several flowering trees in bloom here. I'm not sure what the tree is, but its quite striking to see all of these large white flowers above head.


After crossing a small footbridge and a stand of decomposing stone known as Cougar Rock, the trail starts steeply uphill. The park service was nice enough to install a number of benches along the way. I'm feeling good though. A good night's sleep coupled with my recent training regiment has left more than prepared for this ascent.

The trail leaves this canyon and crosses over into the next one. As I pass a marked vista point, I know I'm getting close. Just a bit further and I arrive at the picnic area described in the description. I can't imagine the challenges of bringing a bear box and two picnic tables up this high with no road. Someone managed to do it though.


The guide mentions the waterfall is just a quarter mile or so beyond the picnic area and the measurement seems about right. The falls is listed at a height of 220 feet, but in actuality, it's a series of three waterfalls totaling that distance.

From my reading, it sounds as though the falls was first discovered in the early 1960's, but kept mostly secret. It was "rediscovered" sometime in 2005 and has since become a popular destination. Looking up at the mighty waterfall, I can certainly understand why. It is quite striking. 

A series of steel banisters leads up the side of the cliff and allows a view of the upper sections of the tiered waterfall. I climb my way up, but the water and mud makes it a bit treacherous. I slip a couple of times, but thanks to being cautious, catch myself and suffer no injury.


Finally reaching the highest section, I take a few more pictures before heading back. I take note that all the way back to the jeep, I don't see any other hikers. As I look at my distance, which turns out to be just over 3 miles, a second car pulls into the lot. It looks like I finished just in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment