Sunday, January 20, 2019

Hoapili Trail (Maui County, Hawaii)


In the early 1800's trails were built in and around the island of Maui to connect communities. One such trail remains on the southern side of the island and is known as the Hoapili Trail or the Kings's highway.

The trail starts at a remote, but gorgeous beach, where cooled lava flow meets the sea. This truly is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The mix of black lava rock, white sand, and blue ocean water is magical. I must move on further and see what this trail has to offer. 


From here the trail moves into what I can only describe as a haunted forest setting. Twisting and dying tree trunks and branches create tangle of grayish brown mesh. Volcanic rocks have been piled into makeshift walls, presumable as the base for dwellings or windbreaks for past travelers of this road. As the never-ending winds blow in from the ocean, the trees creak and twist in a ghostly cacophony.


Further on, the trail enters an open lava field that seems to extend to the north endlessly. A couple of feral goats go hopping away over the difficult terrain as I approach. This area of the trail is lifeless and difficult to traverse, which makes me curious as to why the goats would be out here. Only they know.

After nearly a mile across the lava flow, I begin to get a little board and with limited time available, I decide to turn back, but before I do, I explore a side trail that leads out to a small peninsula. Between the trail and the ocean waves crashing in, a group of trees shelters what appears to be a tent city. I can see a number of shelters and note a number of voices talking in the distance. I can't help but wonder how permanent this little community is. Being off the beaten path, they must not get detected much and sheltered by the trees, they likely get protection from any storms that blow in.

Finally turning back, and heading back to the trailhead, I'm amazed at the diversity along this trail. Had I continued further across the lava field, this trail leads to another beach much like the trail head, but I'm out of time. I was able to get in right about three amazing miles on this trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment