Sunday, January 20, 2019

Olowalu Petroglyphs (Maui County, Hawaii)


When searching for hiking trails and various points of interest I might want to check out while visiting Maui, I was somewhat surprised to learn of petroglyph site near the village of Olowalu. Of course, I had to visit and though I just finished running a half-marathon, I'll somehow find the energy for this short hike.

Following the windy road just a mile or so behind the general store, I reach the lonely hill alongside a small creek, which I believe is the home to this Hawaiian rock art. A short hike around to the backside leads me to an informational markers and the actual panels.

From what I read, the glyphs are thought to be between 200 and 300 hundred years old. I can see many different figures, most of which are stylized humanoid designs. I've visited rock art sites all of the American west, but seeing similar designs on a remote pacific island only re-emphasizes how alike we all are. We must treasure what is similar between us, whether than battle over what is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment