Monday, January 21, 2019

Olovine Pools (Maui County, Hawaii)


Next stop for today's adventure on Maui are the Olovine Pools. To reach them, I have to travel further along the "road of death" and then hike down a steep rock cliff side once more to where the lava rocks meet the ocean.

At the bottom, I find dozens of people sitting and soaking in the green salt water pools left here when the tide recedes. Small fish remain trapped in these pools and scatter when the see people walk nearby. In the distance, the waves continue to batter the stony shoreline as they have done for many thousands of years. A sign further back on the trail told the story of a family member who was taken by the waves in 2017 and never seen again. A sad tale, but with the violence of the waves crashing now, during calm skies, I can only imagine what it would be like with a choppy sea. 


After taking a few pictures and exploring around the area, I head back up the way I came and depart for my next stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment