Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Doll's Head Trail (Dekalb County, Georgia)


While researching trails in and around at Atlanta, I stumbled across one that had an unusual name. Doll's Head Trail is a few miles south of downtown Atlanta in something of a less than desirable area. It wanders along the Constitution Lakes, which were dug out decades ago for clay to be used in bricks. Over the years, the pits filled in and a partially-paved trail and boardwalk system has been built to create an urban park. Some years ago, a local carpenter started a movement that has since been fueled by local volunteers to turn a small section of that trail into an art project. Using trash items found at and around the site, these folks have created an eerie, almost post-apocalyptic urban landscape.

Since my company graciously decided to add a few holidays to our schedule, including New Year's Eve, I decided to not waste my day off and hit a few trails. Doll's Head seemed like a great place to start. Luckily, it seems most of the city has taken the day off, as the highways are not jammed packed as they would be this early hour on a normal Tuesday. I arrive at the trailhead parking lot just before eight. A couple of other cars are here, with people hanging out in them and the smell of a particular herb fills the air. Nonetheless, I'm here for other reasons.


I make my way down the paved trail a short distance until the boardwalk and deck built out over the lake. It seems I'm alone. With the ability to see my breath on this chilly winter morning, I'm not surprised. After leaving the boardwalk, the trail changes to earth and enters a wooded area. A sign greets the visitor and informs me that the Doll's Head Trail is free to the public, but asks that visitors do not bring in outside trash or vandalize the area in any way. It also suggests a clockwise route around the small loop, which is advice I decide to follow.


At pretty regular intervals on either side of the trail, piles of old bottles, broken toys, doll's heads, and other discarded items have been built into lego-like contraptions. Most of the sculptures have a famous quote or other words of wisdom written on some flat piece. The feel of the whole thing is really a bit disturbing. I say "disturbing" and while it is, I don't necessarily mean that with the negative connotation that normally comes with it. There is also something strangely beautiful about these works of urban art. It's a bit difficult to describe and I think this is just the type of place that one must visit for themselves to fully understand.


I make my way around the short loop trying to take it all in, before finally returning to the jeep. Overall, it was a short hike, but really unique. I got in about 1.5 miles, but this is not a trail I will soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment