Saturday, December 28, 2019

Sope Creek and the Marietta Paper Mill Ruins (Cobb County, Georgia)

 

Since joining the local hiker community in and around Atlanta, I've been told that I must visit Sope Creek, which is a large tributary to the Chattahoochee River. All those telling me of the hike, spoke of some amazing ruins along the trail. Since the rain seems to be holding off for now, I figured today is the day.

I arrive at the trailhead parking lot around 9:30 AM and quickly hit the trail. As this is only going to be a short hike, I only bring my camera this time. I quickly learn that here is a network of trails here in the park, but find my intended path without much trouble. It travels through the deciduous wood, which is littered with fallen leaves this time of year. A gate bars bikes from certain sections is noted as such.


After dropping down a steep and somewhat muddy hillside, I find myself at the ruins of the Marietta Paper Mill, which was in service for nearly a half-century until 1902, which production stopped. During its active period, the structured served to make paper, twine, and other materials. It was also a prominent target during the Civil War and was burned twice. Today, all that remains are the rotting husk of a large building, sitting alongside Sope Creek, whose waters powered the manufacturing. 


Heading back up to the main trail, I continue exploring. At one juncture, a pair of deer run out in front of me. There area lot of deer in and around Georgia. The national park lands here around the Chattahoochee provide a safe zone for them to breed in. In addition to the deer, I encounter a number of mountain bikers. I'm not sure why this area is so popular, but for whatever reason they are out in droves today.

The ruins were definitely very cool to visit, but beyond that and the creek, this trail doesn't offer a great deal of uniqueness. Still, it's great to be outside taking in the fresh-ish air once again. Returning to the jeep, I see I logged about 3.5 miles on this one. I'm sure one could get in more miles with the criss-cross of trails going on here, but I have another destination to hit today and I'll add up more miles there.

No comments:

Post a Comment