Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Washington Monument (Washington D.C.)

 

While our country digs in for what is sure to be a political drama in the Senate, I take time to reflect upon some of the noble and rich history that our nation's capital commemorates. I'm in D.C. today for a wine tasting, but since that doesn't begin until this evening, I have plenty of time to wander the National Mall this afternoon. And while I have been here before and walked the length of it from the United States Capital Building in the east to the Lincoln Memorial in the west, I did not get the opportunity to ride the elevator up into the great obelisk dedicated to our first president. Having reserved a spot in advance, I will remedy that today.

It's a blustery 28 degrees as I jump out of my cap and begin the walk up to the base of the monument. Having recently moved from the high desert of Reno, NV to the humid-rich south near Atlanta, GA, I'm only just becoming reacquainted with the concept of wind-chill. It certainly can have a bone-chilling effect. 

Looking up at the 555 ft. monument and reading some of the informational signs, I learn a few things that I was unaware of. This monument to George Washington was intended more to celebrate his military position as the Commander and Chief of the Continental Armies during the Revolutionary War than his presidency. I also didn't realize that it is the tallest stone structure (without a metal frame) in the world, and was in fact, the tallest man-made structure in the world from 1884 to 1889 when the Eiffel Tower claimed that title.

After making my way around the white obelisk, I head inside and through the National Park Service's security checkpoint before boarding the elevator to the top. It's a short 90 second ride that is accompanied by a short video to pass the time and inform visitors of some of the history. 

Arriving at the top, I'm treated to magnificent views of Washington D.C. I take a few minutes to look out upon the capital. To the east, the United States Capital stands like watchdog over the union. To the south, the Jefferson Memorial sits alongside the Potomac River. To the west, the Lincoln Memorial rises and brings memories of glorious speeches in hope in days past. To the North, the White House, now embroiled in an impeachment trial, stand vigilant. 



For all of the comings and goings of our modern politics, this monument is a testimony to the greatness of one of our Founding Fathers. I have read several biographies of President Washington, and while certainly not a perfect man, he was a just man and his courage and leadership gave birth to our great nation. Upon hearing that General Washington intended to lay down his command of the Continental Armies and retire to a quiet life after his victory in the Revolutionary War, the defeated King George III thought Washington the greatest character of the age, since he had the ability and political power to make himself "King of America", but chose, instead, to return power to the Continental Congress. Truly a great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment