Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Anna Ruby Falls (White County, Georgia)


I always like starting the new year off with a hike. It seems to set the proper tone for the next twelve months. Today, I'm going to explore some of northern Georgia's best waterfalls, starting with Anna Ruby Falls, which is about 75 miles north of my new home and near the quaint little village of Helen, GA. I know this is a very popular area and so, I get an early start and arrive at the site a little before 9:00 AM. To get to Anna Ruby Falls, which has been protected as a National Forest Service Recreation Area, one must pass through Unicoi State Park, which is also quite popular. Luckily, I have both a State Park Pass as well as the National Park Service's America the Beautiful Pass, which save me from paying any additional fees. 

The trail itself is paved all the way to the falls and follows the clear waters of Smith Creek as it tumbles down the mountain of a series of small rapids and falls. Anna Ruby Falls itself is quite an impressive site and somewhat unique in my experience. It actually consists of two waterfalls at the confluence of Smith and York Creeks. The Smith Creek Falls is two tiered and drops a total of about 154 feet, while the York Creek Falls is a single waterfall. The two combined waterfalls makes for an awe-inspiring vision as if water is rushing out of the entire mountainside. It's quite a beautiful site. After walking back to my jeep, I check my distance and find that I hiked about 1.2 miles, though I think of it as more of a stroll since it was on pavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment