Saturday, June 27, 2020

Keown Falls (Walker County, Georgia)


The last couple of weeks have seen me spending lots of time with my legs propped up waiting for the nastiest case of poison ivy I've ever had. That last trip in the Pigeon Mountain area was full of poison ivy and my legs paid the price for my decision to wear shorts on that trip. That said, they are mostly healed up now and I'm ready to get back out there and get some more trail miles in.

Today's fist stop is to an interesting waterfall in Northwestern Georgia called Keown Falls. I arrive at the trailhead parking lot around 9:00 AM and only find two other cars there, which is nice. The trail immediately leaves the lot and heads into the woods. It's not as overgrown as Pigeon Mountain was, but there is a lot of growth here. The combination of humidity, bugs, and a slight uphill have me cursing. Ah well, that's life in Georgia. After about 3/4 of a mile, I arrive at a waterfall that I first think is the destination. It's only a dripping stream falling from a stone overhang, but I bet it would be really nice in the wet season. As the trail continues beyond here uphill, I assume there may be another waterfall and continue.

The actual Keown Falls is very similar to the one I mistook for it, but with a much larger depression carved out beneath the overhang. In fact, the hiking trail passes under the waterfall, which much like the first fall, is only dripping today. However, I bet this would be quite an adventure when the water is really flowing.

Beyond the waterfall, a set of steep stone-carved steps leads to an wooden observation deck. I make my way up the precarious staircase, but from the top the trees and other flora obscure the view of the waterfall. I am able to see a nice view of the surrounding landscape though. I head back down the stairs and make my around the second-half of the loop to return to my jeep and depart for today's next stop. Total distance for the loop was right at 2.1 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment