Sunday, June 28, 2020

Suwanee Greenway Trail (Gwinnett County, Georgia)


Living in a large metropolitan area, as I now do, I have to adjust my thinking and incorporate more urban-ish hikes into my plans. One such trail is the Suwanee Greenway Trail, which starts only a few miles from my home. It's a paved trail, but meanders through several wooded areas along Suwanee Creek. 

I arrive at the parking lot at Suwanee Creek Park just a little after 7:00 AM and get started right away. It's a popular place, even this early in the morning. Along my route, I pass other walkers, runners, bikers, and even one person on roller-blades. In fact, I may consider doing some running on this well maintained trail in the near future. 


The trail passes behind neighborhoods and crosses a few roads as it makes its way to the terminus at Suwanee Elementary School. The route is mostly paved, but also includes a number of boardwalk sections that traverse low-lying and exceptionally wet areas. One thing that really catches my interest as I make on the trail is a sign just after crossing one of the intersecting roadways. It advertises a local craft brewery that is only a quarter-mile up the road from here. I will definitely revisit this trail and make good use of that information at some point in the near future.

After returning to the parking lot, I check my mileage and find that I covered just over 6.5 miles on this little urban excursion. It was nice too because I was able to listen to some podcasts as I walked. I rarely do that when hiking in the woods, unless I know the trail really well. This being a paved trail in the city though, it seemed very reasonable.


No comments:

Post a Comment