Saturday, June 6, 2020

Pigeon Mountain (Walker County, Georgia)

 

Another Saturday; another hike. This time I decided to join one of the local meetup groups to hike a trail in the Crockford-Pigeon Mountain Wilderness Management Area. From my understanding there are a number of natural and man-made sites of interest on the slopes of the 2,330 foot mountain. Additionally, the trail we are taking includes a couple of smaller trails on my to-do list, including the Pocket Trail and the Shirley Miller Wildlife Trail.

Arriving at Blue Hole, which serves as our trailhead, I find that I'm the first one of the group here. There was another gravel parking area prior to this spot and after the muddy and somewhat rugged road to get to this spot, I wonder if the others changed the plan and met at that earlier lot. My jeep had no issues with getting to this spot, but I'm not sure a 2-wheel drive compact could get to this point. While I wait for the others, I explore around Blue Hole, which is a freshwater spring emerging from the foot of the mountain and feeding a small creek. Obviously named for the bluish-gray waters at the mouth of the spring, this place reminds me of some of the springs I visited in Kentucky long ago with my dad.

Soon, the rest of the group shows up having walked the short distance from the other parking lot. After a short discussion about our route, we hit the trail - thirteen of us in all. The trail departs directly behind the spring and starts a steep climb up the mountain. I'm in reasonably good shape, but the heat and humidity here is killing me. The air is as thick tomato soup and I'm sweating like a pig. I soon start to notice early signs of dehydration and I stop to get some water. I'm going to have to reconsider doing these long and  strenuous hikes during this time of year in Georgia.



The trail is pretty muddy here and I assume there must be some run-off from somewhere. It just doesn't seem that rainwater would linger this long. After a couple of miles we come to the next interesting feature. This mountain is full of several solution caves, including the twelfth deepest cave in the US, Ellisons Cave, which features the deepest, unobstructed pit in the continental US. This is the first of a few entrances to the cave and it's quite small, but I suppose a daring contortionist could fit through.



Just a little further on, we come to the most popular entrance to the cave. The group has no interest in entering, which is probably wise. A sign at the trailhead offered a grim warning to those that may want to explore - "This cave will try to kill you!". From what I've read, the recent years have claimed three lives while they were exploring these depths. While I do enjoy a little dose of caving every now and again, I don't claim the skill level necessary to test myself in this monster and I'm glad we move on.

We next reach the top of Pocket Falls and while some of the group want to try and find a path down the steep cliff, several of us knowing that the Pocket Trail and Shirley Miller Wildflower Trailhead is just another quarter-mile down the road, opt for the safer option. In the end, those that took the safer route on the elaborate (and completely unnecessary) boardwalk actually arrive before those that descended the steep hillside. After the group rejoins, we continue on past the end of the boardwalk and follow the rugged trail to the bottom of the waterfall, where we stop to take a short lunch break.

Though the flow of water is pretty timid right now, the erosion of this area makes me believe this waterfall is mighty after a rain. From the top of the cliff, the water falls about thirty feet to strike a point of rock and bounce to several other small cascading falls that flow over erosion-carved steps before feeding the small creek that nourishes this place and for which it is named, the Pocket. 



To this point, we've already put in more than seven miles and a short rest is definitely warranted. I also take advantage of the cold water coming off of the falls to soak my shirt and hat. As we head out on the winding boardwalk, I learn from another hiker in our group that this area contains some very rare wildflowers and that a hike in March offers the opportunity to see them in bloom.



Departing the Pocket Trailhead area, we continue our way around the backside of the mountain. This part of the trail is not well-traveled and is nearly overgrown with poison ivy and other plants. I'm sure I'll have to deal with that in the next few days. Additionally, we find a number of forest snails in the middle of the trail. We do our best to move them, but I sadly end up stepping on and crushing one of them. I feel really badly about that, but there isn't really anything that can be done to help the little guy.



Soon we approach the next interesting feature of this trail. Around the turn of the last century, a small community named Estelle existed here. All that remains are a number of foundations and other ruins and while we don't pass directly by those ruins, the trail does pass through several railroad tunnels that were carved through the undulating ridges. The group leader had mentioned that we should bring headlamps and they come in extremely handy as we negotiate our way through the dark passages. The cool air down here is extremely refreshing, but the climb out of the tunnels is fairly challenging in a couple of cases. 

Shortly after the caves we begin the ascent back up the mountain and though it's not quite as difficult as the early climb, it's still pretty taxing after hiking as far as we have. Eventually, we rejoin the original ascent (though, we get to go downhill this time) completing the loop around the mountain. We make quick work of the two-mile downhill section and return to the Blue Hole. I'm a muddy, sweaty, exhausted mess, but it was a really great and interesting hike of 15.6 miles total. Quite a good workout, but I definitely need to pick and choose my hikes as we enter summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment