Thursday, July 22, 2021

Camano Island - Holly and Bluff Trail (Island County, Washington)

I'm in Seattle for the weekend and while I've got lots of plans, I figured I would take a detour and enjoy a short, quiet, solo hike. After looking at several different options and considering my schedule, I decided to do the Holly and Bluff Trail on Camano Island, which is only a slight detour from my next destination. I flew into town late last night and while I didn't get to the hotel and to bed until nearly 2:00 AM, I did get some sleep on the plan, which makes rising at such an early hour at least tolerable. After packing my gear, I check out of my hotel in Everett, load the rental car, and head to Camano Island on the west coast of Washington.

Arriving at the trailhead, I park the car and head down what appears to be the correct trail. This park seems to have an entire network of trails, but they are well marked. The trails are nicely groomed and appear to get a lot of use as I encounter a number of other hikers along my path.

As I approach a section above Port Susan, I decide to take a side trail down to the shoreline. It's low tide currently and the shoreline is a mix of white driftwood with a carpet of biologically rich mud leading out to the salt waters of the estuary, which have receded several dozen meters out. The view here is spectacular and as I made my way down this side trail, I encountered a trail runner on her daily jaunt. She took that hill like it was nothing. As I'm running a race in a few days, I hope I feel as good as she seemed to making her way up the steep embankment.

Continuing on my path, the trail circles around above the bluffs overlooking Port Susan. In the distance, I can see a coastal community, complete with a fleet of fishing boats. It's interesting to think of the lifestyle in this part of the country; so dependent upon the bounty of the sea and so different from any place I have ever lived. It's got a "Stephen King" character to it, which is to say that it has a sort of haunting charm. I could see myself retiring in a place like this someday.


Time to finish out the loop and head back towards the parking lot. On my way though, I encounter a huge number of blackberry bushes.and holly grapes (which I mistake for blueberries). This place is loaded with them, especially the blackberries. I will later discover that these bushes are quite destructive and an invasive species to the area. That said though, they are a nice treat for a weary hiker. The key is to find ripe berries that separate cleanly from their stem. Those are the sweet ones that you want to eat. The rest are quite tart.

I soon find myself back at the parking lot and ready to head toward my next destination. This was a nice little diversion hike though and I really enjoyed the 2.0 miles I was able to get in on the island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment