Friday, July 23, 2021

Diablo Lake Overlook (North Cascades National Park, Washington)

 

Driving out of North Cascades National Park and on the way to the airport to pick up friends, I was told I simply must stop at the Diablo Lake Overlook for one of the best views in the area. The folks I hiked with yesterday and this morning did not oversell it. The view from up here is magnificent. The glacier-fed waters of the Skagit River are dammed in three places forming three separate lakes. Diablo Lake is the middle in size, but much smaller than Ross Lake to the north. Still, the view offered from this overlook is out of this world, The almost phosphorescent turquoise of the frigid waters below me are in stark contrast to both the lush mountain side sloping into the lake, the ivory snow caps atop some of the taller peaks, and even the eternal blue of the sky above.

I spend a few minutes walking around the area taking in different vantage points, all of which are equally as amazing. As I get back in rental car and drive away, I'm thankful for my ability to get out and experience places such as this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment