Friday, July 30, 2021

Mulberry Creek from Hyde Farm (Cobb County, Georgia)


This morning is really my first time moving since running the marathon last weekend up near Seattle, but it's time to get my legs active again. There are more trails to hike and more races to run. I decided to join an early morning hike hosted by the Atlanta Outdoor Club. This morning, we are going to hike a section of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area along Mulberry Creek and through the historic Hyde Farm.

Meeting the small group a little before 7:00 AM, we do a quick round of introductions and then make our way across a dew-laden field to admire Hyde Farm. I didn't know much about the historic site at the time, but upon my return home did a little research. The farm was settled in the 1830's inside territory owned by the Cherokee Nation. The original log cabin still exists within the farmhouse. James Cooper Power and his family borrowed indigenous farming traditions to make a life here growing sweet potatoes, pumpkins, squash, and beans. The farm was productive up into the 1990's, when the land was given to the National Park Service in payment of some inheritance taxes. Several buildings remain, but don't approach too closely and quickly turn around and head along the creek.

Mulberry Creek provides an important watershed for the Chattahoochee and water for many local residents. As we hike at a good pace and do some rock-hopping in a few places to cross the small stream, I recognize much of the area. As it turns out, I have hiked much of his area before but starting at the other end in the Johnson Ferry unit of the park. 

While the humidity is still miserable, I appreciate getting out early like this to avoid the heat. Returning to the parking area, I see that we've hiked about 4.5 miles this morning. It was nice to get the blood flowing a little before starting my workday. I hope the club will organize more early morning hikes like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment