Saturday, January 13, 2024

Chunanne Falls (White County, Georgia)


 It's a new year and I'm trying to get outside as much as I can. I spending the weekend at the Len Foote Hike in along the Appalachian Trail Approach, but decided to join the park service for their Second Saturday Hike to Chunanne Falls on my way. Arriving at the Smithgall Woods visitor's center a few minutes before the start of the scheduled hike, I check-in and then head out to meet the guide and other participants near the park's shuttle van. The guide describes what to expect and we all pack into the van for a short drive to the trailhead.

Once at the trailhead, the group heads into the wintery woods along a fairly well defined trail that runs parallel with the raging Dicks' Creek, emboldened by the recent rains we've had. The hike is only about a half-a-mile and soon, we arrive at the falls. I've visited once before, but in the summer there is only a trickle. Today, however, the water is pouring over the lovely little waterfall. After taking in the view for a short time, we head back to the van and return to the visitor's center. It was short and sweet, but I'm glad I made the trip. The waterfall was outstanding today.

No comments:

Post a Comment