Saturday, January 13, 2024

Len Foote Hike Inn (Dawson County, Georgia)


After my quick stop at Smithgall Woods, I headed to Amicalola Falls State Park for the weekend's main event - an overnight hike to the Len Foote Hike Inn along the Appalachian Trail Approach. I've stayed at the Inn once before and made reservations a couple of other times, but cancelled those trips due to poor weather. This time, it looks like the weather is going to be cooperative, other than being cold. If I'm lucky, I'll get to see and hike through some snow on my way in today or my way out tomorrow. We'll see what Mother Nature has planned. 

Once I arrived at the park, I checked into the Inn at the new visitor's center, which is much nicer than the facilities that were here last time I visited. Instructions ask me to leave a voice mail before starting my hike and leave details about my name, my party, and my vehicle. With that all done, I head to the upper parking lot. I toss my mid-sized backpack on and hit the trail. It's just an overnight in an hostel-like facility, but last time, my day-pack didn't seem adequate for a change of clothes, blanket, and other essentials. So, I opted for the larger 33L pack this time. 

Leaving the parking area, I head across the road and into the woods. There are two trails, which essentially form a loop meeting at the Hike Inn. One side (to the west) is the AT Approach Trail, while the other side (to the east) is the Len Foote Hike Inn Trail. It's possible to go either way, but I decided to take the eastern trail in and I will likely take the other side on my way out tomorrow morning. 

The trail itself is pleasant and well-maintained, but relatively uneventful. There's some elevation gain, but not much and I only stop a couple of times to take in some vistas and drink some water. Before long, I've arrived at the Hike Inn. I check in at the front desk and then head to my room to drop my gear. The rooms here are very Spartan and only contain a set of bunk beds with basic mattress pads, a light, a stool, and a heater vent. It will serve my purposes though. After sitting for a couple of minutes and just enjoying the moment, I collect my clean clothes, the provided towel and wash cloth, and then head to the bath house, which is on the level below, connected by an outside walkway and set of stairs. The entire facility is made up of four buildings connected by walkways and stairs, one above the other and down the mountainside. 


I hope in to take a welcomed hot shower, though I try to be conservative on my water use. The Hike Inn prides itself on its extraordinarily ecologically efficient practices. They produce about 70% of their own electricity via solar panels and recycle and compost just about all of their waste. In fact, they have been award a platinum level LEED designation for their continuing efforts to help our environment. The shower feels great though. It's cold outside and after a moderate hike, I've gotten myself pretty sweaty. The warm water does wonders to refresh me. 

Once cleaned up, I head back to my room to drop my dirty clothes and then back to the front desk for the 5pm tour. I've done this tour before, but they take the time to explain their conservation efforts and some of the history of the inn. It's well worth hearing again. Almost immediately after the tour, the dinner bell sounds and we all head to the dining hall. Unlike my last trip here during the height of the CO-VID19 pandemic, there is only a single dinner service and we sit at community tables and get to make some new friends. My table consists of a family of four, as well as a woman traveling solo. We enjoy some great conversation about our other adventures over a wonderful meal of roast pork, mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, corn bread, and a light salad. 


After dinner, most of us stick around for a post-dinner education presentation. Tonight, our host will discuss her time in Southeastern Alaska. It's a very interesting discussion and I think most of the audience enjoys the little talk. With the presentation complete, most head back to their rooms to start hunkering down for the night. I do the same. While the rooms are heated and blankets provided, I froze the last time I stayed here and so this time, I brought my own down-blanket. I decided to read a little bit from bed, but soon started feeling sleepy and decided to call it a night. 

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of the alarm clock on my phone blaring AC/DC. I fold back the covers and realize how much warmer it is under them than in the rest of my small dormitory-style room. I lay there for a few minutes before getting dressed and heading out to catch the sunrise. 

Sitting first inside the Sunroom and enjoying the warmth of a wood stove on this frosty January morning and then on the porch overlooking the eastern horizon, I await the rising sun to lighten and warm me. Most of the other guests have also gathered in this lowest room of the facility for the same reason. When the sun finally pops out, it doesn't disappoint. The orangish rays peak from behind the clouds and set the world around us ablaze with morning light. It's majestic from up here in the mountains. 

Breakfast is next on the agenda, and back in the dining hall, we are served a huge helping of scrambled eggs, sausage, cheesy grits, and some kind of peach crumble. I'm not a fan of peaches (I realize that statement can get me shot in Georgia, but it's true), but this is pretty good.

After breakfast, I head back to my room and quickly pack and check-out. The return hike is a little more difficult due to more elevation gain, but after a couple of hours on the trail, I've returned to my car. Total distance was almost exactly 10 miles. I reflect back on the experience and the people I met fondly. It's always a wonderful weekend at the Hike Inn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment