Saturday, September 19, 2026

Arabia Mountain - Daisy Days (DeKalb County, Georgia)

I ran a 5k this morning, but after getting home and doing some chores, I decided I wanted to get in a few more miles. Thinking about where to go, I realized the daisies should be starting to bloom at Arabia Mountain (and at the other monadnocks southeast of Atlanta). That seemed like an ideal place to hike a few miles and see some nice scenery. 

It's only about a thirty minute drive from my house and I arrived to find the parking lot pretty full, but an open spot right by the entrance. With my car parked and plenty of water to keep my hydrated on this hot 'dog day' afternoon, I headed south on the paved path behind the nature center. 

The trails and routes at Arabia Mountain are pretty well known to me, as I've hiked here many times over the years I've lived in Atlanta. I decided to follow a route that takes me across Klondike Road and into the woods before popping out on the bare granite between the high point of Arabia Mountain and it's taller sibling, Bradley Mountain. With no shade on the granite surface, it's really hot and continue to drink water to try and stay cool.


When I descend from Bradley Mountain, I had expected to be overwhelmed by the bright yellow daisies littering the landscape and former quarry areas, but I didn't see many at first. I then thought it might be too early in the season. These yellow beauties generally start blooming in late September and continue into October. After walking a little further though towards the southern parking lot, I find many more. I still may be early, but there are several of them in bloom.

Walking up the boardwalk lot back towards the nature center, I find even more scattered along and below the walkway. They're really beautiful flowers and make for a magnificent hike. The butterflies dance among the blossoms and almost seem to have a playful nature about it.

Crossing over the road again, I head towards the Frog Pond and Mile Rock Trail. This side of the old quarry doesn't seem to have as many of the yellow flowers, but it's still a nice hike regardless. Between the old buildings of the quarry, the granite, and just the general landscape, Arabia Mountain is always an interesting place to hike.

After a short time, I'm back at my car having hiked about 3.1 miles along these granite paths. I'd like to get in more, but I have some other events going on tonight and need to get cleaned up. The heat has rally caused me to sweat quite a bit and I'm sure I don't smell suitable for being around people right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment