Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Cauley Creek and Rogers Bridge (Gwinnett County, Georgia)


It's been so incredibly hot and humid the last couple of weeks, which I've mentioned in previous blogs, but today I decided to get up early and drive to a nearby park I've only just learned about. Cauley Creek Park is only about six miles from my house, but sits on the other side of the Chattahoochee River. Luckily, a neighboring park built around the old Rogers Bridge offers a way to cross. 

I left the house a little before sunrise and arrived just a few minutes later. Thankfully, the heat hasn't kicked in this early and I might be able to get a nice walk in without sweating my ass off. I park and quickly cross over the modern Rogers Bridge. As I walk across, I note a great number of walkers and runners on these trails. The river below has a thick fog covering it, which makes for a nice picture. 

The trails here are all paved and covered with a bouncy, rubber like substance (that is likely produced from recycled car tires). It makes for an easy walk and I'm able to maintain a great pace as I get my miles in. My route circles the outside of the park and cuts into the woods in a few places. Along one of the sections, I spot a couple of deer, including a fawn - always a welcomed site when out on a hike.

Rounding the last section, I head back over the bridge towards my car and as I do so, a fellow walk mentions to me that he used to jump off the bridge here into the cold river below. I believe he was talking about the previous bridge, but he mentions that the water directly below us roughly eight feet deep and that there is a little boat ramp just a few meters downstream (and now overgrown with brush) that he would swim to and climb out on. I wish him a good day and finish my walk. Total distance for the morning was about 3.7 miles, which is not bad at all for a weekday.

No comments:

Post a Comment