A few months ago when I was training for the Camino, I found and hiked the Sutalee Trace Trail near Canton, GA. I found it to be a nice hike with a few options in the trail system. I mentioned it to the owner of the Meetup group I often lead hikes for and suggested it might be a nice trail to fit into his Sunday rotation. With ample parking, relatively easy grades, nice views of the Etowah River, and a few side trail options, it seemed like a great fit. He was interested and asked me to post an event for it later in the year when my schedule would allow me to lead it. Today is the day.
Arriving at the parking lot a few minutes before our scheduled start time, I had to wander off into the woods to use the restroom as the physical restrooms were roped off for some reason. Returning to my car, I found a couple of people had arrived and asked if they were here for the hike. Others began to arrive, including the group owner. Before our introductions, I gave a little overview of the trail including the limited history I know about it from my research. This route is supposedly the same one or at least near the one used by the Cherokee for hundreds of years and then by the early European settlers to this area to travel between villages. Some years ago, the pseudo-historical route was marked as a hiking trail and part of the Etowah River Trail System. I always love a little history in my adventures.
Departing the parking area, we make our way into the woods and before long see some excellent views of the river, though the brush is much thicker than when I hiked here back in the late winter. This part of the path is nearly level and well maintained. We pass a few other hikers along our route. At one point we reach what I refer to as the crossroads, which is the intersection of a couple of dirt roads and hiking trails. Reviewing the map here, we discuss exploring a couple of other options, but for now continue along the white trail.
After taking this path deeper into the woods, we finally reach the terminus at Jug Creek, where the trail hits another dirt road. We discuss what we want to do from here. Originally, I had planned to just hike out and back on the white trail and keep it easy to, but I'm fairly easily convinced to explore a couple of other options.
We follow the dirt road and through an exposed area where the joro spiders have built their strong, sticky webs across the path in places. Luckily, I had picked up a stick and was already sweeping for them. I really don't like walking face first into spider webs. Eventually, we return to the white trail and head back towards the parking log, but not before exploring a couple of the other side trails.
As it turns out one of the hikers had fallen behind and not brought enough water with him (which seems a bit careless on such a hot day). He had message me, but with only intermittent signal here in the woods, I didn't see the message until we returned to the parking area, where I found him waiting. He said he had made it back safely, which I was glad to hear. Total distance for the day was 8.9 miles. Everyone seemed to enjoy the trail and I expect the group will return. I leave the group pretty quickly though as I am leading another hike this evening and need to get back.

No comments:
Post a Comment