Friday, July 5, 2013

Ernest Hemingway's Grave (Blaine County, Idaho)

I had originally planned on visiting Ketchum, ID on the way to Yellowstone, but we had to switch our plans around a bit and decided to catch it on the way home. While it was about an hour and half out of the way, I figured I owe Hemingway that much for all of the inspiration his writing has given me. His grave is very simple, which is probably fitting for this man, the most honest of American authors. No mention is made of his works like "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or "The Old Man and the Sea", but curiously, a number of coins and other decorations have been placed on the smooth slab of granite marking his burial place. Perhaps the cigar and small bottle of rum left by a admirer are all that is necessary to celebrate this man's colorful life. I'm sure Hemingway himself would have enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment