Saturday, May 13, 2017

Rattlesnake Ledge (King County, Washington)


My first trip to Seattle, WA was a fun filled weekend of breweries, meaderies, and some great food, but the highlight (and reason for the trip) was to see U2's 30th Anniversary Joshua Tree Tour. However, I couldn't visit a totally new area without trying to get in a little hiking . . . if the weather was willing to cooperate, that is. I did a fair amount of research on the best hikes and settled on a few to explore. The weather wasn't kind though and I was only able to fit one trail in during my visit. At least it was a good one.

Rattlesnake Ledge is a tall cliff below the summit of Rattlesnake Mountain that overlooks a turquoise blue lake called . . . of all things . . . Rattlesnake Lake. Oddly, on my short adventure in this area, I didn't encounter any of the vipers, for which everything here seems to be named. Lucky for me, I guess. From the parking lot, a gated gravel road leads just a short distance to the trailhead. There, beside the lake a mother goose leads here young geese-lings around a smorgasbord of grass. This appears to be a popular trail, though the skies are questionable. I encounter a number of fellow hikers as I start up the steep, damp trail. 


The forest here is so lush. With the near-daily rain that the Pacific Northwest is so well known for, ferns and moss grow in, on, and out of everything. Looking in every direction while on the trail, yields a feast of varying shades of green. A very light mist falls in conjunction with a blanket of humidity, making for the dampest environment I have ever hiked in. It reminds me of New Orleans, but without the heat and stickiness.

The trail snakes its way up the mountain via a great many switchbacks, some of which pass near tall chutes down the mountain, but the thick foliage is selfish with any views of the accompanying waterfalls. 

I continue up the steep trail and I take note of the large number of hikers traveling up to the ledge with their dogs. Breeds of all shapes and sizes, but all seem to be enjoying the trip. The people (and the dogs) are incredibly friendly here. That's always the case with hikes, but these locals seem to be exceptionally courteous, each of them wishing me a good morning as we pass. 


Finally, reaching the top, I find a rocky outcrop with a sunken depression in the stone. The mist has made the footing a little treacherous on this slick rock. I'm careful not to get too close to the ledge, as  recall reading of a number of hikers falling to their death from this area in the last few years. Far below, the blue lake sits in a green sea of trees. In the distance, the mighty Cascade Mountains are only partially visible from behind the wispy clouds here and there.


After drinking in the amazing view from up here, even through the clouds, I begin the trek back down to the parking lot. It travels the exact same path, but going downhill always provides a slightly better view. As I reach the rental car, I see that I've hiked about 4.6 miles. I truly wish I had more time to explore some of the other trails, but I've seen enough to know that I want to come back someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment