Saturday, December 16, 2017

Hinkey Summit Arch (Humboldt County, Nevada)

 

A couple of years ago, I read of a natural arch near the top of Hinkey Summit, north of Winnemucca. For some time, I've been wanting to get up that way to check it out, but it seems every weekend during the summer and fall was pretty much packed with activity and I wasn't able to find the time. So, I decided to get up this morning and make the drive.

Heading north on US 95 out of Winnemucca, I took the right turn on to NV 290 also known as Hinkey Summit Road. The route took me through the wide upon paradise valley and the namesake town in the center of it. A few miles north of town, the pavement ended and the gravel road continued into Santa Rosa Mountains. 


Using Google Earth, I thought I had located the rock face containing the arch, but as the road twisted and turned on its way to the summit, I searched every rock face in sight and couldn't see it. Finally, when I reached the top of Hinkey Summit, I spotted it. The pass is only about 7,900', but in mid-December, the weather was blizzard like, but luckily with only a couple of inches of snow on the ground.

As I found a place to park the jeep and get out, the strong winter winds sent chills through me and in just the time it took to walk the short distance to the base of the arch, it felt like me fingers and ears were going to freeze off. I had wanted to hike up around to the top of the arch, but with the freezing temperatures and more snow on the hillside, I decided I'd rather be warm in the jeep. At least I found the natural wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment