Sunday, December 31, 2017

Lund Petrified Forest (Washoe County, Nevada)


I moved to Reno, NV in December '02. I was drawn by the beauty of the desert mountains, the quick access to Lake Tahoe, and the ease of leaving the urban-life behind anytime I wanted in exchange for the breadth of solitude available in this barren part of the world. When spring came the next year, I spent most weekends driving off in a random cardinal direction looking for new things I've never even imagined before. On one of those early weekends, I headed up through the Black Rock Desert and eventually ended up at Crater Lake in Central Oregon. On that trip, I passed a sign for the Lund Petrified Forest and while I slowed down slightly, I didn't take time to really explore. I've always regretted that decision and decided to do something about that regret today.

After returning to the highway from my off-road adventures at Pig Rock, I drove around Pyramid Lake and north up NV 447 all the way to Gerlach. From there the path, takes me along NV 34 along the western side of the Black Rock Desert, past the Fly Geyser, and then into the gravel roads of the High Rock Conservation Area.


Beyond the completely barren playa of the Black Rock, the landscape is very Nevada-esque in both the vegetation and topography. Rolling desert hills covered with sage brush are my only companions for many miles as I drive towards the Idaho Border far to the north. Along the way, I encounter a number of wild mustangs. Not surprising, as this state is home to the largest population of those living symbols of the old west. Majestic is the word that comes to mind as I stop in the middle of nowhere to say hello to some of my four-legged statesmen, but I can't help but think of how hard these gorgeous creatures must live. Consuming what little nutritious vegetation that can find in this harsh landscape. The herd I've encountered looks healthy though and I wish them well as I continue on my journey.

A few miles further, and I arrive at the sign I first saw nearly fifteen years ago. A wide spot in the road and a bronze plaque affixed to a concrete marker indicate that I have arrived at my destination. The plaque tells of George W. Lund's untiring efforts to preserve the trees of this petrified forest.


I spend a bit of time exploring the jeep, including some further off-roading up an steep hill, before deciding to park and explore further on foot. There are two basic parking areas just off the gravel highway that have enclosed amazing examples of petrified stumps within a fence barrier. However, by research indicated that a number of other specimens can be found in the hills just beyond the highway. 


Hiking a short distance, I stumble across a number of them. The remains of each tree has a unique character. Many are nothing more than tree stumps, but the wicked eons have converted all of the biological material from wood to stone. The visible tree rings leave no doubt that these stones are more than just mere rocks. I can't help but wonder what this area looked like the million+ years ago when these rocks stood as living trees shading the landscape around us. What wonders this area must have held back then and oh, I what I would give to be able to visit that time.


I continue walking among the remains of the ancient forest and find a number of additional petrified specimen. Finally, I decided that it is time to head back to civilization. It is the Eve of a New Year after all, and while this ancient forest takes little notice, as it one among millions, for me, it is one among tens and I know where I want to spend it.

2 comments: