Sunday, December 31, 2017

Pig Rock (Washoe County, Nevada)


I'm always looking for new and interesting places to hike, explore or go wheeling (4x4 off-roading). Some time back, I read about a rock formation near Pyramid Lake that is very popular among the climber community called Pig Rock. As I had New Years Eve morning free, I thought I would take the jeep out exploring and try to find it. Watching for a notable butte about four miles from the lake and on the western side of NV 447, I find my dirt road turn-off. At first, the road is very navigable, but the spring melt has cut some deep washes into what was probably an easily navigable road last year. My big rubicon makes short work of those washes though. After about two miles and a bit of minor rock climbing over some small boulders, find myself climbing through the final deep wash before arriving at a rock formation that leaves no need for imagination. Pig Rock rises from the sagebrush as a 25-foot tall sandstone monolith. The eye, the ear, the mouth are only plainly obvious. Just beyond the pig, a sheer sandstone cliff rises 40-feet out of the desert. This is obviously the climbing destination. It was a fun drive and I'd love to do a bit of hiking in the hills surrounding me, but I have more miles to put in before the day ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment