Saturday, May 30, 2020

Lake Trahlyta Waterfall (Union County, Georgia)


Since moving to Georgia a few months ago, I've been hearing about a great hike to the top of Blood Mountain and when I saw one of the Meetup groups post this hike, I thought it would be a great opportunity to check it out. Additionally, it would give me a chance to check out a the small state park where the group was intending to meet. 

I arrived at Vogel State Park, which is near Georgia's border with North Carolina, in the late afternoon and about an hour before the scheduled meet up time. After finding a parking spot, I got out and took a stroll around Lake Trahlyta, which seems to be the primary focus of the park. As I've mentioned before, Georgia has no natural lakes and like all others, this one is the result of damming up of Wolf Creek. Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people here today. With stay-at-home orders related to the pandemic being loosened, may people have been getting out into to nature. The park features a beach, several spacious cabins, and a trail that encircles the lake.

Knowing that there is a waterfall at the end of the lake opposite where I parked, I decide to head that direction. Once reaching the far end, a short spur trail drops below the damn and around to a gorgeous tiered waterfall. The Park has built an observation deck that allows very close access to the waterfall and I take advantage of it to get some great shots. Afterwards, I had back up to the lake and return my jeep via the other side of the lake, thereby completing the mile-or-so trail around the lake. It was a nice relaxing warm up for what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment