Sunday, May 17, 2020

Unicoi to Helen Trail (White County, Georgia)


I was supposed to be starting a Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon this morning, but due to the global pandemic our backcountry permits were cancelled and the national park remains closed to the public. I'll just have to make the best of it here at home. I decided to hit a couple of trails near Helen, GA. The first of which starts at the Unicoi State Park Lodge and travels along Smith Creek.


Arriving at the lodge just after 9:00 AM, there were plenty of parking spots available and I just chose the nearest one to the start of the trail. The trail is very well signed and marked (ridiculously so in some cases), but at least I won't get lost. The trail quickly descends into the first of a couple of shallow valleys. As I approach the bottom of this valley, I hear a frog making his frog noises and a little further I see a sign indicating a side trail to Frog Pond, which I decide to explore. 

The pond is nothing more than a dammed up section of a small tributary creek. A drainage pipe prevents the level of the pond from exceeding the top of the damn. While I don't see any frogs, having heard them on the way down, I know their here, but they'll have to remain hidden as I return to the main trail.


From here, the trail closely follows Smith Creek and one point opens up into a wide grassy meadow, which is quite beautiful. A couple of bridges provide passage over the shallow creek before heading back up the the far side of another valley and then dropping down into Unicoi Hill Park, which sits along the main road through Helen, GA. The small German-inspired hamlet of Helen is a tourist destination and boasts a popular Oktoberfest celebration in the fall. I've already reserved a hotel room and intend to partake later this year.

After a drink of water, I turn around and head back the way I came. The trail was well maintained and pleasant overall, but nothing overly exciting. I was able to get about 6.3 miles on this trail, which is a good start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment