Sunday, May 17, 2020

Angel Falls (Habersham County, Georgia)

 

Departing Unicoi State Park, I had a few miles east to the trailhead for Angel Falls. When I arrive, the small trailhead is packed and a few cars are pulled off the side of the road, which is my only option for parking. 

The short trail follows Joe Creek and passes by a few scenic waterfalls on it's way to the larger fall towards the top of the valley. The flow waters a cool and clear and many of the small waterfalls along the creek are stepped, almost as if cut by man. I do believe that they are completely natural formations though.


Passing a curious stone construction, I read a sign indicating that it is believed to be "spring box" constructed in the early 1930's to take advantage of the cold spring to keep perishable food items cold for local workers. I've never seen anything quite like this, but I have taken advantage of running streams to chill a beer every now and then. 


The trail beyond here is maze of roots, leading up to the base of the tall and again, stepped, Angel Falls. Unlike the falls further down though, this one is about 50 feet tall. As it hasn't rained in a few days, the waters are not raging over it, but there is still steady flow enough to make it a beautiful site.

I take a few shots and then head back the way I came. The total distance was only about 2 miles, but it sure was a nice way to spend a little time in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment