Saturday, July 18, 2020

Foster Falls (Marion County, Tennessee)


I'm heading up to Kentucky to spend some time with my aunt and uncle this weekend. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't find some interesting places to check out along the way. It is a 6-hour drive after all. After having reviewed the route a bit on Google Maps, I decided to make a quick stop at Foster Falls near the Fiery Gizzard Recreation Area. The Fire Gizzard Trail is on my to-do list, but I don't have enough time for that today and so the waterfall will have to suffice.

After finding a parking spot, I wandered over to the overlook platform, which looks down on the waterfall and it's pool, but the view is somewhat obstructed by trees. I saw a sign indicating a trail down the cliff side to the base of the waterfall and decided to follow it. While only a short half-mile hike, it's very rock and pretty steep in a couple of sections. It climaxes with a short walk over an extension bridge spanning the creek outlet from the waterfall pool. As I cross, a father tells his young children to watch how the bridge bounces.

There are a few people wading and swimming in the large pool created by the creek water's eighty foot plunge over the cliff side. The water is fairly tame today, but it's quite a beautiful waterfall. With the heat and humidity being what it is here today, I'm very tempted to go for a swim myself, but I have a lot of miles to cover before reaching my destination. My jeep's air-conditioning will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment