Sunday, July 12, 2020

Yellow River (Gwinnett County, Georgia)


The Yellow River flows very near my house, northeast of Atlanta, and continues south. A few miles from my home a park has been dedicated and named after this small river and offered another opportunity for me to get out with one of the local Meetup Groups. The parking lot we chose to meet up was somewhat secluded and caused a few issues with people finding it, but I think that is only because they didn't read the directions provided. 

Our large group does a quick round-robing describing a television show we've recently watched and enjoyed before hitting the criss-cross of wooded trails in this park. At first, we really don't see the river, but as we progress, we eventually hike a section right next to the water. I can certainly see where the name Yellow River came from, as the water here is quite muddy and almost has a yellow hue to it.

As we make our way through the woods, I have a number of conversations with my fellow-hikers. Some of whom I have met before and others who are brand new to the group, including one very nice lady who has never hiked before today. She's been steadily building up her endurance walking around her neighborhood and chose to take to the trails for the first time today. I try to give her some encouragement as she's doing very well for someone who has never hiked this far. 

The trails are very nice and well maintained here, but generally, not very exciting. We return to the parking lot after about three hours, having completed just over 8.4 miles. I think it's time for me to go home and rest now, between the three hikes I've completed this weekend, I've put in almost 25 miles and I'm ready to put my feet up.

No comments:

Post a Comment