Saturday, February 6, 2021

Rabun Bald via Bartram Trail (Rabun County, Georgia)

I don't really consider myself a peak-bagger, but I do like climbing mountains. At 4,696', Rabun Bald is the second highest peak in Georgia, and until today one I have not yet climbed. Located in north-eastern Georgia, just south of the border with North Carolina, it seemed like a good trip to lead the Meetup group on. As we've had some cold weather lately, I warned those who signed up to join me to bring traction devices of some sort in case we encountered ice at the top. We'll see if they listen.

Arriving at the Hayes Ridge Trailhead along the Bartram Trail, I find an adequate place to park my jeep and begin scouting the area for the start of our trail as well as to identify other parking spots for those joining me. I always try to arrive a little early when I'm leading a hike, and today is no exception. Over the next several minutes, eight others who has registered for today's outing join me and I direct them to the various parking spots I found. At the designated start time, we gather in a wide circle and do a quick round of introductions. I remind the group of the description I gave on the event posting and re-emphasize the pace expectation. Everyone nods in agreement. And with that, we are off.

More weather is suppose to be moving in late this afternoon and I'm hopeful that we can reach the summit and return prior to the storm hitting. As we start the trip, we pass a little drip waterfall, which has a few icicles hanging from it. As we're about half-a-mile in, it seems like a good time to delayer while the group takes pictures. After a couple of minutes, I check that everyone is ready before pushing on. My goal is to hold us to about a 2.5 mph pace on this trip. 

The first two-thirds of the trail are relatively flat, meaning that the last third is going to be pretty steep. I warn the group of that as we push forward. After a few switchbacks, we start seeing the elevation gain kick in, though it never gets as bad as the elevation profile would lead one to believe. This is also where we start encountering the ice that I warned the group about. Natural spring run-off has flowed over the trail and created sheets of thick ice around two of the switchback turns. The ice covers the entire trail and spans for about twenty yards in both places. We pause for a minute, while I and a couple of ladies that followed my advice put on our Yaktrax or Microspikes. Meanwhile, those that didn't bring any traction devices do their best to skirt the trail and bushwhack past the icy sections - a dangerous proposition. 

Thankfully, everyone gets past the ice without incident, though the Yaktrax make it much, much easier. From here, it's only a short distance to the top. As we make the final turn, we pass a sign indicating that Warwoman Dell is another 15 miles to the south. I only mention this because I led another hike from Warwoman Dell north to the top of Pinnacle Knob a few weeks ago. The Bartram Trail is a long National Recreation trail and spans the distance between the two, as well as continuing much further in both directions. It might be a backpacking option at some point in the future.


High atop the mountain, a large observation deck has been built to offer visitors a spectacular view above the trees. We climb the steep set of steps leading to the top and the group gasps in awe of the breathtaking 360° were are privileged enough to see before us. The cold air up here may also have something to do with taking everyone's breath away. We spend a few minutes enjoying the view, before I mention that I'm heading back down the stairs to enjoy a quick snack out of the wind. Everyone follows me and we each pull out a bar or other snack to get some calories into our bodies.


After ten or so minutes at the top, I give a five minute warning and everyone begins to pack up and prepare for our decent back down the mountain. It doesn't take very long before we are on the trail once again, though going down is always much faster. We have similar struggles with the ice, but again make it without any falls. A couple of us hang back to remove our traction devices, causing the group to split in two separated by just a couple of minutes. Interestingly, both groups make the same wrong turn, but quickly correct our course. It only took us a few dozen feet in the wrong direction, but was caused by our actual trail climbing a small, but steep ridge that none of us remembered. No matter, we're again heading in the right direction.

As we near the end of the trail, we start seeing the occasional snowflake falling from the skies. We arrive back at our cars just in time to beat the snow. Everyone thanks me for leading the hike and comments how much they enjoyed it. I wait to ensure everyone is able to get their car out of their chosen spot before heading out myself. Looking at my tracking app, I see that we've hiked about 8.8 miles today. Not bad and the views definitely made it worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment