Saturday, February 6, 2021

Mud Creek Falls (Rabun County, Georgia)

On my way home from Rabun Bald, I decided to make a very quick detour to check out a waterfall one of the other hikers told me about. Even though there are some snowflakes falling, I understand that there isn't really any hiking to this waterfall and that it can be approached directly from the parking area. As I drive through Sky Valley, Georgia, I get turned around a couple of times, but eventually see the sign for Mud Creek Falls. The road twists around the mountain as I make my way steeply downhill, but in almost no time at all, I'm at the parking lot with the 100+ waterfall looming directly above me. This is a really nice one - on the same level as Amicalola and Anna Ruby Falls in my opinion. I had never heard of this one, but the majestic water-wheel formed about half-way up as the waters rush into a spoon-like formation and shoot upwards before again falling to the next tier of the waterfall makes me think of some of the falls along the Tuolomne River in my beloved Yosemite. It's just a quick stop, but well worth it. Now, I just need to get home before the weather really kicks into high gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment