Sunday, May 2, 2021

Georgia Renaissance Festival (Fulton County, Georgia)

 

As vaccinations to COVID-19 are becoming more and more available, the world is beginning to reopen. I haven't been to a Ren Faire in a couple of years. In fact, I don't think any have been held since the pandemic began over a year ago. That said though, the Georgia Renaissance Festival, just southwest of the city, is opening this weekend and I thought it might be a good opportunity to spend some time with my mother and expose her to something new.

I really had no idea of the scale of this particular Ren Faire, but judging by the large grassy parking area and the number of cars already there when we arrive, I expect it is going to be fairly substantial. As we enter, I can see that I was correct. The structures appear to be permanent, meaning that they are not taken down each season after the end of the faire, but remain for reuse year after year.

We first make our way over to the raptor demonstration, as a master falconer, demonstrates the hunting techniques of his trade. Following that, we walk around a bit more while Mom enjoys the shops and wares of the visiting merchants. We arrive at the jousting arena just at the end of the performance, but while I wander off to hit the ATM, Mom gets to see the final couple of pairings. After that we grab some lunch and walk around a bit more. I think she is taken with the costumes and general culture. While our stay is relatively short, as she's already had quite a busy day, I think she really enjoyed seeing something new and more than anything, just being out among people again.

No comments:

Post a Comment