Saturday, March 2, 2024

Ichetucknee Springs - Blue Hole (Columbia County, Florida)

 

My final stop on this long road trip brings me to Ichetuckee Springs. I had thought the trail listed as Blue Hole might be interesting to check out. After parking my car, I followed the rangers directions and walked along a long boardwalk that eventually returned me to solid ground and on a well maintained gravel trail. Apparently, this place is quite popular. After about half-a-mile, I reach the Blue Hole spring, which has an observation deck built over it. 

Some teenage swimmers are dipping in the water, which is a rich blue color and reminds me of what the eyes of Fremen must look like in Frank Herbert's Dune fantasy world. I take a few shots of the spring and in the distance of a number of large soft-shell turtles sunning themselves on fallen trees. 

Afterwards, I return the way I came and check out a few other features of the park. It really is great to see all of these spring-fed creeks down here and the crystal clear water. It brings back memories of kayaking through these areas a couple of years ago in search of manatees. For now though, I must finish my journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment