Saturday, March 2, 2024

Silver Glen Springs (Marion County, Florida)

 

I'm not entirely sure of when I became aware of Silver Glen Springs, but I suspect it was one of those interest-tracking algorithms on Facebook. Anyway, on my way home from a week in the Everglades, I decided to make a stop here and check it out. Arriving early, there was almost no one in the area yet, but I still had to pay a $12 admission to just spend a few minutes walking the trails.

First I explored the Spring Boils Trail, which actually leads away from the major spring and into a temperate rain forest. The path is a mix of board walk and sandy soil, and the moisture this early in the morning is palpable. When I reach the end of the trail, I'm greeted with a very unusual sight. An observation deck overlooks a number of churning springs in the clear water just a few feet beyond. Apparently, the spring water bubbles up and stirs the ever present sand. It's really unique and worth a look if you're in the area.

From here, I walk back the way I came and attempt to find a good view of Silver Glen Springs itself. Disappointingly, there are a number of boats just outside a barrier and orange cones and floating buoys mar what would be a spectacular view. Large fish gather around the spewing water. Apparently, this spring discharges an amazing 65 million gallons of water per day. From looking at it from a distance, that seems pretty reasonable. It's a torrent rising to the surface of this blue within blue pool. I just wish the people hadn't spoiled it and we could see it in it's natural state.

No comments:

Post a Comment