The weekend is going far too fast, but thankfully it's Labor Day, which means a rare Monday off of work. I decided to join the Atlanta Outdoor Club for another hike today. The Ocmulgee River Trail will be our destination. I saw this one get posted a couple of weeks ago and it immediately caught my interest since I haven't explore the area. I was a bit confused though in that the meeting location had a couple of different pins. I had emailed the organizer and he mentioned that it was a "exploratory" hike, which I completely understand, but it would still be nice to ensure we all start at the same place.
It's a couple of hours of driving to get to the trailhead and once I arrived, I didn't find anyone at first. I rechecked the coordinates and just as I confirmed I was in the correct place, another gentleman showed up. We called the organizer who was at one of the other points and bushwhacking to find anything resembling a trail. As we spoke, a third hiker drive back from further up the gravel road we were parked on and reported a parking area about a half-mile further in. We relayed this to the organizer on the phone and before long, everyone had arrived at the turn-off. We chatted for a moment and then caravanned to the parking area hoping it was the spot we were looking for. It was, though it was pretty overgrown.
Everyone parked their car and got out the bug spray and their gear before doing a quick round of introductions. As we walk through the partially overgrown parking area, I note a lot of poison ivy growing and mention this to the group. Knowing this hike was exploratory, I wore long pants to protect myself from the 'devil weed', which causes a horrible rash on me. It seems I was the only one that thought this way though as everyone else is in shorts.
We quickly locate the trail and begin our trek through this forest that is unknown to us. The hiking is easy, but the trail doesn't seem to get a lot of use. It's pretty easy to follow, but there are several blow-downs and the weeks (and poison ivy) make obvious attempts to reclaim it. Heading north through the woods for the first part of the trail, when we finally turn around, we are just above the river. Unfortunately, it is so overgrown we are rewarded with only a couple of views. One of them though does give us the opportunity to watch a small fishing boat 'climb' up over a shallow waterfall. It was pretty impressive piloting.
Returning to the parking area, we discuss possibly explore the area south, but with the skies starting to darken, we assume a thunderstorm is in our future and decide to call it a day. I was still able to get in 8.7 miles on this trail, which is pretty nice. It was also nice chatting with these folks, several of whom have been doing international adventure recently, just as I have. It's good conversation.
No comments:
Post a Comment