Saturday, September 5, 2026

Vickery Creek (Fulton County, Georgia)

It's been so very hot in the southeast the last couple of weeks . . . miserably hot. For the most part, I've been trying to stay inside and soak up the AC, but I really do need to get my body moving again. I signed up for and ran a 5k this morning at Little Mulberry Park. It was the first race I've run in a few months, but my time wasn't terrible. The mileage wasn't enough though and so, I decided to head over towards Roswell and put a few miles in at the Vickery Creek Unit of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. I've hiked here a few times in the past and it's a pretty popular place. First though, I got a burger at the nearby Moxie Burger, which is a place I've been wanting to try for a while. It was a pretty good meal and the fries were outstanding. 

After finishing my lunch, I found a parking spot a little closer to the old mill where I wanted to start. Even walking downhill towards the bridge crossing the creek and leading into the park, I was sweating from this oppressive heat. As I walk across the open air bridge, I see a lot of people are seeking refuge from these temperatures near the small waterfall just below the bridge. I can't blame them, but I really need the exercise. 

I quickly get my bearings and head east along the creek. This part of the trail system runs right at the waters edge and in a couple of places, I have to maneuver carefully around and under some low hanging trees to avoid falling down the bank into the muddy waters below. After about a quarter-mile on this section, I hit a dead end. It might be possible to scramble up the tall bank to the another trail above, but not wanting to risk injury or a plunge, I decide to turn back.


From here the trail is straightforward and I basically do the internal loop of the park. There are a few small inclines, but overall the trail is well maintained and easy. At one point though, I do come upon a doe and her two adolescent fawns. She just stairs at me, but her young ones quickly dart away for the safety of the brush. It's never my intention to scare them, but I do really enjoy seeing these creatures out here in their natural environment. It's not that I don't see deer often. We generally see deer in our backyard once or twice a week, but it never gets old seeing these beautiful creatures. 

Following the twists and turns of the trail and eventually loop back to the bridge that I crossed earlier. I've actually been amazed at how many people are out walking (and even running) the trails on a day as hot as today, but I guess I'm here too. So, that's that. This was a pretty short hike of only about 3.2 miles, but it served its purpose. I had intended to do a second trail on my way home, but given the heat and knowing how exposed that other trail is, I may reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment