Friday, September 15, 2017

Cape Perpetua (Lincoln County, Oregon)

 

The area around Yachats, including Thor's Well, is part of the Cape Perpetua Scenic Area, as designated by the National Forest Service. Before leaving the area, I had to explore the area a bit. While the town and area does have a slight feel of "touristy", the natural wonder of cannot be denied.


Leaving Thor's Well, I head up to the visitor's center only to find it closed until 10:00 AM (an hour from now). With that disappointment, I next head just up the road to the Devil's Churn. I park the jeep and head down a short trail and long flight of stairs to arrive at another feature of ancient lava flow hitting the cold, salty sea. Here a long channel has been carved by the waves into the volcanic rock. As each wave rolls in, the briny sea water splashes through the narrow channel with a demonic roar. I maneuver on the uneven surface, fully aware that a fall into the cold channel would likely be the end of me, as there is no visible way to escape.


I make my way around the cape arriving at the other side, which opens up into a small cove. Here an army of seagulls scour and quickly devour any sea-life that is washed upon the rocky and sandy shore.

After driving a bit South on highway 101, I stop for a view of a beautiful lighthouse. I had passed this lighthouse, fully ablaze, last night on my drive into Yachats. It was quite a site to behold and as I read, can be scene for up to 21 miles out to sea, warning passing ships of the rock coast.

As I continue to explore, I can't help but think of how beautiful the town of Yachats and the surrounding area are to my eyes. There's a small-town beauty to this place and I could easily see myself retiring here or somewhere like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment