Friday, September 15, 2017

Sea Lion Caves (Lane County, Oregon)

 

On my drive into Yachats last night, I noticed an interesting "tourist trap" a few miles south of Cape Perpetua, the Sea Lion Caves. As I'm technically a tourist on this trip, I decided to check it out. 

As I park, I note a number of people leaning on the wooden rail and looking (some with binoculars). Curious, I decide to take a look and I'm gifted my first view of a whale in the wild. The spouting water from the California Gray Whale's blowhole leaves no doubt. I'm already happy with my choice to stop at this diversion. I had hoped to see some whales on this trip and luckily I just did. While I'm a long distance away from the majestic creature, it doesn't diminish the moment. I hope some day we are able to communicate with these intelligent creatures, but until then, I will just marvel at them.


After purchasing my ticket, I walk out onto the observation deck and note a party of sea lions playing in the waters far below. While they may not be lounging in the cave below, I at least got to see them having fun.

I then take a elevator down some two-hundred feet into the cave. The elevator empties into a developed section of the cave, complete with educational placards about the geology and ecology of the cave, as well as numerous paragraphs about the two species of sea lions that generally inhabit the cave in the winter and spring. In the center of the area, the remains of an ancient sea lion have been roped off for posterity. Apparently, this skeleton was found by the human discoverers of the cave.


To the left from the elevator, the cave opens up into a huge chamber, which from pictures around the facility, appears to be the primary 'hang out' for the sea lions when the season is right. However at this time, the auditorium-sized room is empty of the playful marine-mammals, save one. On a small, but rocky island in the middle of the room, a lone sea lion lies resting. I'm forced to wonder if the lonely occupant is suffering in some way. While she moves around a bit, she remains on the rock the entire time of my visit. Perhaps she is ill or injured and unable to join her friends. Perhaps she is old and simply wants a quiet rest. Whatever her story, I hope she is okay. I'm saddened to think of this being her final resting place. Get well, my friend - get well soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment