Friday, September 15, 2017

Thor's Well (Lincoln County, Oregon)


After getting a good night's sleep in a quaint little coastal hotel in the town of Yachats, Oregon, I woke early and started searching for a nearby natural wonder known as Thor's Well. The curvy road follows the shoreline and overlooks the Pacific Ocean. This early in the morning, thick fog rolls in and blankets the area.



I park my new jeep and take in a deep breath of the briny sea air. While the trail is labeled Spouting Horn and Cook's Chasm, I'm pretty sure by my maps that my destination is here as well. In this section of the coast, ancient volcanic lava flows met with the cold sea and formed a number of interesting rocky terrain. The feature I was looking for is a product of this meeting.

Thor's Well is reported to be a deep cylindrical hole in the lava flow that hollows on the bottom. As the waves role in slightly before through slightly after high tide, the well empties and fills with each surge of blue sea water. As I walk out onto the lava flow, I note a couple of photographers and once I see their subject, I know I'm in the correct place. They quickly confirm my suspicion. They further mention that high tide is approaching in just a few minutes, which prompts me to wait.




As I watch nature in action, I'm amazed at the feature. It seems all sides of the inner cylinder are covered with mussels. The timing of the undulating sea seems crucial in determining how high the water will splash above the well. If the timing of the wave is just right, it will not break before hitting the shore, which will cause a much higher rise in the well. 

I stay and observe for thirty minutes or so, before walking back to the jeep and heading for my next destination. This is truly an amazing site and I'm lucky to have been able to witness it.

No comments:

Post a Comment