Saturday, September 16, 2017

Grove of the Titans (Del Norte County, California)


I've often wondered how many coastal redwoods and giant sequoias are off the beaten path, hidden from the prying (and damaging) onlookers that would love them to death if their locations were revealed. I value our natural world as much as anyone and I will fight to protect it from those that would do the beauty around us harm. Some time ago, I read of a newly discovered grove of old-growth redwoods near Crescent City, CA. I've visited the Redwoods State and National Parks before, but the location of this grove is a well-kept secret. Luckily, I found some information on its whereabouts.

Heading down the described series of forest roads through the park, I look for a a bridge crossing Mill Creek. Once finding it, I look for the nearest area to park the jeep. The road is narrow here and difficult for two passing cars to not collide in some sections. Luckily, I spot an unmarked trail heading into the lush forest and an area to park the jeep nearby.

Hitting the trail, I make way through the rich ecology of this coastal forest. Tall, lean redwoods densely populate the area in all directions. The tall trees provide a canopy hundreds of feet above, while green ferns and other foliage carpet the forest floor.

The trail leads uphill further into the forest parallel to the the creek, fifty or so feet below. As I get deeper into the forest, the redwoods grow in size. Many of them 12-15 feet in diameter and well over two-hundred and fifty feet tall.


I'm hoping the 'titans' for which the grove is nicknamed, will be obvious and as I round a corner, my hopes are realized. Just below the trail, a rugged and mighty redwood dominates everything around it. It's gnarled and gigantic. I believe this is the Chester Puller Titan. It's truly enormous. Alongside the trunk, another mighty titan has fallen and lies resting on the forest floor.


Further, along the trail, I find other titans, including the Lost Monarch Titan, the El Viejo del Norte Titan, and finally the Screaming Titans. The screaming titans, as the pluralized version of the noun implies, are not a single tree, but a number of trees (probably five or more) that have merged together at the base to form what must be the largest trunk of any tree I have ever seen, including the largest tree on earth, General Sherman. It's an amazing amalgamation of life. 

I encounter a couple of younger explorers and we share information about the trail and titans. We discuss the need to cross the creek to reach the Del Norte Titan, but I decide to forego this final giant, as I have lots of miles yet to drive. I wish them luck in their adventures.

Returning to the jeep, I check my mileage. I've covered about 2.7 miles through this secret forest. I feel lucky to have seen these mighty giants and I hope that all future visitors will tread lightly, as I have tried to do, and preserver these living monuments for generations to come.

1 comment:

  1. General Sherman mentioned in the blog post, is no longer the largest single trunk tree on the planet. New revelations and new discoveries elsewhere in the coast redwood parks reconfigure all that's known about the largest of large trees on Earth. Updates @ http://www.mdvaden.com/redwood_year_discovery.shtml

    ReplyDelete