Saturday, August 25, 2018

Big Obsidian Flow - Newberry Caldera (Deschutes County, Oregon)


Continuing my exploration of Newberry National Volcanic Monument, I decided to drive out to and hike through the Big Obsidian Flow. While my iPhone GPS suggested it would take more than an hour to get there, with modern technology and paved roads, I made the trip in only about 25 minutes (and I didn't even need to speed). Perhaps the road has only recently been paved. Either way, it was only a short drive to the natural wonder and reminder of Earth's violent geologic history.

While the area has been active geologically for half-a-million years, the lava flow that created this giant field of obsidian (and other volcanic rocks) occurred only 1,300 years ago. The frozen sea of rocks is truly an impressive sight. From the parking area, it's only fifty or so yards before I came face-to-face with the steep edge of the flow, which rises a hundred or so feet about the area and is in sharp contrast to the heavily forested area around me.


The park service has installed a sturdy set of stairs up the side of the rock pile and from the top, a trail directs one through the aftermath of the eruption. I've visited a lot of lava flows and even some with a heavy concentration of obsidian, but I think this place takes the cake. Once I top, I find dozens, if not hundreds, of obsidian boulders and formations - some the size of a basketball; others the size of a car. This time of day, the overhead sun glares off of the shiny black surface of this volcanic remnant to produce a somewhat otherworldly experience. When the nearby Modoc peoples and their ancestors came across this place and it's treasure trove of tool-making raw materials, they must have been ecstatic. Obsidian is a true gold-mine for the fashioning of arrowheads and spear points.



Following the trail as it meanders through the lava field, I find one obsidian deposit after another, until finally, the trail loops back to a previously encountered fork. I'm sure I could explore miles down this flow by going off-trail, but the razor sharp edges of the rocks as well as a tight schedule convince me to do otherwise. The hike was only about 0.7 miles, but it was quite a site to see and explore.


No comments:

Post a Comment