Saturday, August 11, 2018

Greaser Petroglyph Site (Lake County, Oregon)


Whenever I piece together a trip, I scan google maps for any interesting sites that my be on my route or even nearby. Rock art, geological features, fossils, interesting topography, historical sites . . . all kinds of things like this catch my attention. While scanning the map on this particular trip, I came across a petroglyph site not far from the small village of Adel, Oregon that I had planned to refuel at anyway.

The site is just three or four miles outside of town along a shallow waterway and marsh that serves as a seasonal home to numerous species of waterfowl. A tall cliff on the eastern side of the marsh has provided numerous boulders that have tumbled down to lower levels over the centuries and would serve as suitable canvases for the ancient artists of the region. As I slowly drive the gravel road that runs parallel to the cliff, I look for signs of those masterpieces.

Finally noticing a man-made wall in front of one particularly large boulder, I suspect I have found my destination and pull the jeep in. Reading the plaque embedded in the short stone wall, I learn this single boulder is the sole panel in this landscape. It is quite striking with numerous reptile and geometric figures. The panel further describes the restoration efforts that took place after the artifact was vandalized some years ago. It boils my blood to know how little regard some people have for their careless destruction of these priceless links to the past. I snap a few pictures and depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment