Saturday, August 11, 2018

Sheldon Antelope Refuge (Washoe County, Nevada)


While my original intention in visiting the Sheldon Antelope Refuge was to confirm reports of petroglyphs on the walls of the canyon leading to the Swan Lake Reservoir, my encounter with so many antelope on my drive to the site sort of took over my attention. As I understand it, this refuge and a sister refuge a couple of hours to the north and across the border into Oregon, have for millennia been along the annual migration roots of these noble creatures. Of course, they weren't always declared refuges, but even before European infringement, the ancient Native Americans recognized this and hunted here.


As I drive slowly along the gravel roads of the refuge, dozens and dozens of antelope seem to jump out as I turn every corner. It seems as though they have read the "no hunting" signs and recognize the safety of this place. When they see my jeep, they most often sprint to a safe distance, but then stop and stare in curiosity at me. Obviously, they are trying to assess the threat, but I like to think that some of it is a true inquisitiveness.


Arriving at the canyon leading to Swan Lake, I find a seldom-traveled trail and gently take the jeep off-road. It's not a very challenging route for my Rubicon, but it allows me a chance to scan the rock surfaces nearby as I drive slowly past. For the most part they are barren of any rock art, but I do finally notice one figure scrapped into the basalt. I would like to spend more time examining the other side of the canyon, but a thick layer of growth covering a creek that may or may not have water flowing deters me from crossing over. Finally reaching the point where the trail ends at a small cliff, I decide to turn around and head back the way I came. After all, the antelope were more the highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment