Saturday, August 18, 2018

Giant Tree Hunt with TRTA & SPF (Douglas County, Nevada)


Interesting trees are always worthy destination for a hike. When I saw that the Tahoe Rim Trail Association working with the Sugar Pine Foundation was organizing a hike to the largest sugar pine in the Tahoe region, I couldn't resist the opportunity. I was going to do some hiking today anyway. Why not make some new friends while I'm at it?

The group met at the Kingsbury South trail head along the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) and near Stagecoach Ski Resort. Twenty issue hikers, three guides from the TRTA, a representative from the SPF, and the regional brand ambassador for Merrill footwear. That last member of the group was a nice surprise. Apparently, his job is to meet with regional outdoor groups in the area to show off his company's product by allowing the hikers to take shoes on a test spin. I've worn Merrill hiking shoes/boots for years and have always liked their products, but having the opportunity to try new models out was a interesting opportunity that many members of the group took advantage of.


After a quick overview of the organizations and today's hike, we were off. The first section of the trail is pretty steep, but the guides took the group at a slow pace and stopped frequently to allow everyone ample time to make their way up. In all honesty, it was far too slow and with far too many stops for my taste, but hiking with a group is always about adjusting to the groups pace and needs.

As we climbed into the thick growth of the mountains, we got some pretty nice views of both Washoe Valley to the east and Lake Tahoe to the west. After about 2.5 miles and 2 hours we stopped in a shaded flat section for a quick lunch. During the lunch our lead guide, Joe, explained the Forest Service had change their rules about driving up some dirt roads and that the plan to shuttle us part of the way, combined with the slow pace was going to prevent us from reaching our intended definition. I was actually a bit irritate by this. I understand the difficult position the TRTA was put in, but only finding out about not reaching the tree half-way in to the hike was not very professional. In my opinion, this should have been stated at the at the trailhead to allow people to change their mind about going if they so chose. I spoke with Joe about this on the way back, and while I tried to be nice about it, did express my disappointment in the way it was handled.


The hike back was uneventful, except for a deer encounter. We caught up with a doe nursing her fawn in a cleared area just off the trail. It was actually quite beautiful. After finally reaching the trail head, I see that we hiked about 5.75 miles in total. I say my goodbyes, thank our guides, and head for home. I may return some day to find the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment