Sunday, July 28, 2024

Cummins Falls (Jackson County, Tennessee)

 

Continuing my waterfall chasing in eastern Tennessee, I start today by visiting Cummins Falls. After filling up on great barbeque and mediocre beer in Cookeville, TN last night followed by a good night's sleep at my hotel, I get an early start and drive the short distance to Cummins Falls State Park. 

While the park signs say it doesn't open until 8:00 am, I'm here about fifteen minutes early and everything appears to be open. I pull into the large parking lot and notice that the trail is paved. I decide to just stick with the flip-flops I'm wearing instead of changing into my hiking shoes. Just a few yards into the hike, I realize my mistake as the pavement ends and the trail surface changes to dry soil with an abundance of tree roots growing through it. I'm already here now though and decide just to continue.

The trail to the waterfall overlook is less than a mile and I arrive quickly to a railed concrete deck offering a spectacular view of this beautiful waterfall. This cascading waterfall is made up of two sections. The first is a tall single drop, which then levels out to a wide platform before plummeting once again over a series of smaller stone steps. On the platform, a long tree trunk has been stood almost upright against the waterfall. So much so, that at first glance I though it had actually grown out of the rock, but that's not the case. I take a few more pictures and head back to my car for the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment