Friday, August 14, 2026

Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival - Macbeth (Washoe County, Nevada)

***Please Note - photo courtesy of Google

While it may be more difficult to classify a Shakespeare production of Macbeth an outdoor adventure, the fact that it takes place on an outdoor stage overlooking Lake Tahoe is all the justification I need. I've attended the plays put on by the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival a few times in the past and it's always been an outstanding experience. 

Arriving with a friend, we checked in and were directed to our table. I've had both the normal seats and the cafĂ© tables, and while more expensive, I really prefer the tables. The other perk of the tables is having a server to bring our food to us before the show. The stage looks magnificent as a backdrop while we peruse the menu. My friend brought some snacks, which are allowed, but we do decide to split an order of hummus and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. I also order a tri-tip and asparagus salad minus the tomatoes. When the food comes a short time later, I note that the salad box says "No T" and as I open it, I notice lots of tomato and no tri-tip whatsoever. I call the server and he and get a good laugh out of it. Why would anyone order a tri-tip salad without the tri-tip. He returns it to the kitchen and arrives back a short time later with the corrected dish, which is quite delicious. 

Right on time at 7:30pm, the lights dim and the play begins. I say lights because the area is illuminated with overhead lighting, but it's not quite dark yet and so, it doesn't have that much impact. It will certainly be dark later though. 

I've always wanted to see Macbeth performed live and the actors and stage direction here are absolutely top notch. Though, I believe they did make some very slight adjustments to the play, it was still an terrific experience. We both thought so and as we head back to my rental car, we discuss the various parts that caught our attention. What a wonderful way to spend an evening under the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment