After working in the Reno Office the last four days to get some of our new employees up to speed, I'm taking a much needed day off. Originally, I had planned to camp out on the Black Rock Desert last night and take in the Perseid Meteor Shower, but a combination of wildfire smoke from blazes just north of town and storms systems filling the sky with clouds made me reconsider. That said, I still want to do something with my morning and so, I decided to walk the Reno Riverwalk. In the past, I've run this paved path several times, but it's been a long time since I just walked along it and took in the sites.
Departing my hotel, Circus Circus, I make my way down Virginia Street and under the famous Reno Arch, which declares this community as the "biggest little city in the world". Having lived here for a long time, I can completely agree with the statement. I really do love this town and I miss it quite a bit.
At the junction with the Truckee River, I divert my path into City Plaza to enjoy a couple of the artworks the city purchased from past Burning Man events. This includes the giant "Believe" sign and the stained glass whale cow and calf. The feel of this town with regards to art and music and just general things to do is unique in my experiences traveling the country.
Continuing along the river corridor while listening to an audio book, I enjoy the fresh air and the general friendliness of the people here. There are many runners out for their morning miles and even some fisherman trying their luck in the river.
Eventually, I reach Idlewild Park and after walking the length of it, I turn around and head back the way I came. This was definitely an urban out, but it was still nice to get in 4 miles this morning. I have a pretty busy day ahead and the fresh air and exercise was definitely needed.

No comments:
Post a Comment